Contributory Parent Visa

The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) lets the parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens permanently stay in Australia.



Contributory Parent Visa holders can:

  • Live in Australia as a permanent resident
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • Sponsor eligible relatives to go to Australia
  • If eligible, apply for Australian citizenship


To apply for the Contributory Parent Visa, candidates must:


The Subclass 143 visa is a permanent residency visa, which means it lets visa holders live in Australia indefinitely.

Candidates can include members of their family unit in their application when applying for their visa. 

Candidates who apply as retirees can include their partner when applying, provided their partner is also a retiree. Furthermore, candidates who apply as retirees can’t include children in their applications.

The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) and the Contributory Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 864) are both permanent residence visas for the parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.

The main difference is that the Subclass 864 Visa has an age requirement while the Subclass 143 Visa does not. To apply for a Subclass 864 Visa, migrants must be old enough to receive Australia's age pension. 

The rest of the main requirements around sponsorship, assurance of support, and the balance-of-family test are the same.

The Subclass 143 Visa is the Contributory Contributory Parent Visa.

The ‘contributory’ element is a substantial financial contribution that visa applicants must make to compensate for the rights awarded to them as permanent residents, such as health care, as they have never made any tax contributions towards these rights as someone who’s lived outside of Australia. 

The Parent Visa (Subclass 103), on the other hand, does not have a contributory element.

Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200


Leave a Review:

Licenses: Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia and New Zealand: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975, 201600505, and 202300649. Our LIAA number is 220104. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2024 Intergate Emigration GmbH. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.

Please see our Terms and Conditions for Australia and New Zealand as well as our Privacy Policy and Payment and Cancellation Policy