The Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155 and 157) enables travel to and from Australia for former Australian permanent residents and citizens, and permanent residents with an expired travel validity.

Permanent residents returning to Australia without a permanent visa and a valid travel facility might negatively impact their entitlements as a permanent resident or future Australian citizenship or Resident Return Visa applications.



Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155 and 157) holders can:

  • Travel to and from Australia as often as desired as long as their travel facility is valid


To apply for a Former Resident Visa, candidates must be one of the following:

  • Australian permanent resident
  • Former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • Former Australian citizen who lost or gave up their Australian citizenship


The Resident Return Visa (Subclass 155) is usually only granted for up to three months, while the Resident Return Visa (Subclass 157) is generally valid for up to five years.

There are no limits on how many times you can apply for a Resident Return Visa.

A Resident Return Visa applicant's travel facility could be valid for: 

  • 5 years - if the visa applicant has been in Australia for two at least two years in the last five years as a permanent resident or Australian citizen
  • 12 months - if the visa applicant does not meet the requirement above but has demonstrated that they have substantial ties with Australia that benefit the country
  • 12 months - if the visa applicant has applied as an immediate family member of a Resident Return Visa holder, or has lodged a separate application for a Resident Return Visa and meets the time of application requirements for grant
  • 3 years - if the visa applicant does not meet any of the above requirements but has compelling and compassionate reasons for their departure from Australia and has not been outside of Australia in the five years preceding the application


Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200


Leave a Review:

Licenses: Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia and New Zealand: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975, 201600505, and 202300649. Our LIAA number is 220104. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2024 Intergate Emigration GmbH. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.

Please see our Terms and Conditions for Australia and New Zealand as well as our Privacy Policy and Payment and Cancellation Policy