Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa

The Temporary (Short Stay Specialist) Work Visa (Subclass 400) lets the visa holder do short-term, highly specialised non-ongoing work in Australia for a period of up to three and in certain circumstances for a period of up to 6 months. 



Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visa holders can:

  • Work in a highly specialised job
  • Only do the work or activities for which the visa is granted
  • Bring family members with them, but family members are not allowed to work or study in Australia except to do a language training program


To apply for a Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa, candidates must:

  • Have highly specialised skills, knowledge, or experience that can assist an Australian business and which aren’t generally available in the Australian job market
  • Have short-term work with an Australian business, i.e. work that is likely to be completed within six months or less, but not work in the Australian entertainment industry
  • Be able to support themselves and any dependents for the duration of their stay
  • Meet Australia’s health and character requirements


Intergate Emigration has successfully assisted numerous companies with sending their staff to Australia on Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) visas. These are some of those satisfied clients:


Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa holders cannot extend their visas however, if the work requires the visa holder to return to Australia at a later point in time, a further subclass 400 work visa can be applied for.

Visa holders who want to stay in Australia for longer than six months must explore alternative visa options such as a subclass 482 Temporary Skill Shortage Visa.

The key differences between the Subclass 400 and Subclass 482 visas are the following:

  • The Subclass 400 visa allows for short-term work of up to a maximum of 6 months, while the Subclass 482 allows skilled migrants to live and work in Australia for either two or four years.
  • While both Subclass 400 and Subclass 482 visa holders can bring family members to Australia, only the partners of Subclass 482 visa holders are allowed to work. The family members of Subclass 400 visa holders aren't allowed to work or study except for a language training program. 

Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Zürich, Switzerland

Spyristrasse 8

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200



Licenses: Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia and New Zealand: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975, 201600505, and 202300649. Our LIAA number is 220104. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2023 Intergate Emigration GmbH. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.


NEW! Australian Migration Report for Skilled Migrants