Partner Visa (Subclass 100)

The Partner Visa (Subclass 100) lets the de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen or permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia permanently. 

The Subclass 100 Visa is usually the permanent residence application for holders of the Partner (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 309).



Partner Visa (Subclass 100) holders can:

  • Permanently live, work and study in Australia
  • Sponsor eligible family members who want to live in Australia
  • Enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • Travel to and from Australia
  • Apply for Australian citizenship if eligible


To apply for the Partner Visa (Subclass 100), candidates must:


Candidates must meet the following requirements to qualify for this Partner Visa:

Visa requirements:

Relationship requirements

The migrant’s spouse or de facto partner must be the same person who sponsored them for the temporary Partner Visa.  

Furthermore, migrants must:

  • Be married or in a de facto relationship
  • Have a genuine and continuing relationship
  • Live together or don’t live permanently apart
  • Be mutually committed to a shared life, excluding other partners

Migrants might still be eligible for the Subclass 100 Visa if their relationship breaks down or if the Australian or New Zealand partner dies before Australia grants the permanent visa. 


The Subclass 100 Visa is a permanent residence visa, meaning the visa holder can live permanently in Australia. However, the Subclass 100 Visa only allows the holder to travel to and from Australia for five years. Migrants who want to travel after these five years must apply for a Resident Return Visa (RVV).

The Partner (Provisional) Visa (Subclass 309) is a temporary visa, while the Partner Visa (Subclass 100) is a permanent visa. Migrants will apply for the Subclass 309 Visa and, subsequently, the Subclass 100 Visa.

Yes, applicants can include immediate family members in their Subclass 309 visa application. It is not possible to add family members after getting the visa. 

Applicants can include dependent children who do not hold a Subclass 309 Visa in their application but must do so before Australia decides on the visa application. Those children must have a Dependent Child Visa (Subclass 445). 

Applicants must also let the Department of Home Affairs know about any children born after they’ve applied for their visa.

Migrants can apply for Australian citizenship four years after getting a Subclass 100 Visa if they meet the eligibility criteria.

Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200


Leave a Review:

Licenses: Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia and New Zealand: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975, 201600505, and 202300649. Our LIAA number is 220104. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2024 Intergate Emigration GmbH. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.

Please see our Terms and Conditions for Australia and New Zealand as well as our Privacy Policy and Payment and Cancellation Policy