Student Visa (Subclass 500)

The Student Visa (Subclass 500) is for migrant children of school–going age and adult migrants who want to study in Australia. 



Student Visa (Subclass 500) holders can:

  • Participate in an eligible course of study
  • Travel in and out of Australia
  • Bring family members to Australia them
  • Work unlimited hours in any sector (until further notice)


To apply for a Student Visa, candidates must:

  • Be enrolled in an eligible full-time course of study in Australia and provide a Confirmation of Enrolment
  • Hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories
  • Must be six years or older, if the child is of school-going age
  • Prove that they have a welfare arrangement, if under the age of 18
  • Meet Australia’s health and character requirements


The Australian Student Visa is usually valid for up to five years. Primary school children enrolled in years one to four will generally get a Student Visa valid for up to three years.

It’s impossible to convert an Australian Student Visa to a work permit. Graduates who’ve studied in Australia and who'd like to work in Australia, can apply for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) or the Recognised Graduate Visa (Subclass 476).

Student Visa holders do not automatically qualify for Australian permanent residency. Instead, Student Visa holders who’d like to become permanent residents must apply for a visa that’ll allow them to do that.

Students who want to continue studying in Australia must apply for a new Student Visa to extend their stay. Graduates can extend their stay in Australia by applying for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) or Skilled Recognition Graduate Visa (Subclass 476) if they meet the requirements.

Student Visa applicants can include immediate family members when lodging their visa application. The only eligible family members are as follows:

  • Partners
  • The visa applicant or their partner’s dependent child who is not yet 18 and unmarried

Student Visa applicants can also include family members at a later time as subsequent entrants.

Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Zürich, Switzerland

Spyristrasse 8

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200



Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia, New Zealand, and Canada: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975 and 201600505, and our LIAA number is 220104. Our RCIC number is R520558. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2023 Intergate Emigration. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.