New Zealand partner visas are for the spouses and partners of New Zealanders, eligible work visa holders, and student visa holders.


The Partner of a Worker Work Visa enables the partners of eligible work visa holders to also work in New Zealand.

Learn More

The Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa lets the partners of New Zealand citizens or residents work in New Zealand for up to two years. Thereafter, visa holders can apply for residence based on their relationship with the New Zealander.

Learn More

The Partner of a New Zealander Resident Visa grants permanent residence to the partners and spouses of New Zealand citizens or permanent residents.

Learn More

The Partner of a Student Visitor Visa lets visa holders visit New Zealand if they have a partner who is studying in New Zealand.

Learn More


Let’s take a closer look at New Zealand’s partner visas:


To apply for a partner visa, applicants must: 

  • Be legally married to or in a civil union or de facto relationship with their partner
  • Be  in a genuine and stable relationship with their partner and live together
  • Meet New Zealand’s health and character requirements 


Partner Visa applicants must prove to Immigration New Zealand that their relationship with their New Zealand spouse or partner is genuine and stable.

To achieve this, evidence applicants submit of their relationship must show the following:

  • How long the couple has been together
  • How long the couple has been living together
  • Shared finances and other responsibilities
  • That the couple spends time together (photos together, emails and social media conversations)
  • That other people recognise their relationship
  • Anything else the applicant thinks shows that the couple lives together in a genuine and stable relationship.


To apply for a partner visa, applicants will start by gathering the required documents. 

These documents include but are not limited to the sponsorship document from the partner, evidence of the relationship, police checks, and health exams. 

Once the applicant has gathered all the required documents, they can submit their visa application. 

The applicant can compile and submit their application on their own or with the help of a licensed immigration advisor.


New Zealand offers several visa options to the spouses and partners of New Zealanders and some visa holders that enable them to live with their partner in New Zealand. 

For partner visas, Immigration New Zealand wants to see that the visa applicant and their partner live together in a stable and genuine relationship. The visa applicant must prove this by submitting evidence of the relationship, shared responsibilities, communication between the partners, and letters from friends and family confirming the relationship. 

There is no requirement regarding the length of a relationship when applying for temporary visas. To apply for residence, partners must have lived together for at least 12 months.

Some of New Zealand’s partner visas allow applicants to include their dependent children in their visa application, while others don’t. Discussing what each visa allows with a licensed immigration advisor is best. 

Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Zürich, Switzerland

Spyristrasse 8

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200


Licenses: Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia and New Zealand: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975, 201600505, and 202300649. Our LIAA number is 220104. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2024 Intergate Emigration GmbH. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.