New Zealand Student Visas are for tertiary students who want to study in New Zealand. Partners and children of student visa holders also have visas available to them to join the student in New Zealand.


The New Zealand Student Visa lets migrants study full-time in New Zealand at approved education providers. 

Learn More

The Partner of a Student Visitor Visa lets visa holders visit New Zealand if they have a partner who is studying in New Zealand.

Learn More

The Child of a Student Visitor Visa lets the dependent children of Student Visa holders visit them in New Zealand.

Learn More


Let’s take a closer look at New Zealand’s student visa categories:


To apply for a student category visa, candidates must:

  • Study full-time at approved education providers, including schools, tertiary education institutions, and English language schools if applying for a Student Visa
  • Have a partner or parent that holds a New Zealand Student Visa if applying for a Partner of a Student Visitor Visa or a Child of a Student Visitor Visa
  • Meet New Zealand’s health and character requirements


To apply for a student category visa, applicants will start by gathering the required documents. 

These documents could be, for example, sponsorship forms completed by the New Zealand relative or visa holder, police checks, and health exams. 

Once the applicant has gathered all the required documents, they can submit their visa application. 

The applicant can compile and submit their application on their own or with the help of a licensed immigration advisor.


The New Zealand Study Visa allows visa holders to stay in New Zealand for up to four years. Visa holders can apply for another Student Visa after their initial visa.

Partner of a Student Visitor Visa holders cannot work in New Zealand. However, visa holders can study for up to three months during their stay.

For the Child Of A Student Visitor Visa, Immigration New Zealand classifies a dependent child as 17 or younger or 18 or 19 with no children of their own and financially reliant on their parents.

Parents applying for a child that’s 18 or 19 might have to submit proof of their child’s financial dependency on them.

Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200


Leave a Review:

Licenses: Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia and New Zealand: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975, 201600505, and 202300649. Our LIAA number is 220104. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2024 Intergate Emigration GmbH. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.

Please see our Terms and Conditions for Australia and New Zealand as well as our Privacy Policy and Payment and Cancellation Policy