Child Visa (Subclass 802)

The Child Visa (Subclass 802) lets children move to Australia to live with their parents. At the time of application, applicants must be in Australia.



Child Visa (Subclass 802) holders can:

  • Live in Australia permanently
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enrol in Australia’s public health care scheme, Medicare
  • Sponsor eligible relatives to come to Australia 
  • If eligible, apply for Australian citizenship


To apply for a Child Visa (Subclass 802), candidates must:

  • Be a dependent child (biological, adopted or stepchild) of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Be one of the following: 
    • Under the age of 18
    • Over the age of 18 and under 25 years and studying full-time
    • Older than 18 and unable to work due to a disability
  • Be single, which means the applicant can’t be or ever have been:
    • Married or engaged to be married, or
    • In a de facto relationship
  • Have a sponsor, which must be one of the following: 
    • An eligible parent
    • Their parent’s spouse or de facto partner 
  • Meet Australia’s health and character requirements
  • Be in Australia when applying for their visa


To apply for a Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189), you must have an occupation on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).

Examples of occupations on the MLTSSL include:

  • Construction Project Manager
  • Architect
  • Civil Engineer
  • Quantity Surveyor
  • Audiologist
  • Carpenter
  • Motor Mechanic
  • Early Childhood Teacher
  • Electrician
  • Optometrist
  • Social Worker
  • Structural Engineer
  • Veterinarian

The Child Visa (Subclass 802)) and Child Visa (Subclass 101) are both for the children of Australians and eligible New Zealanders. The difference is in where the applicant must be when applying for this visa. For the Subclass 802 visa, applicants must be in Australia, while applicants must be outside Australia when applying for the Subclass 101 visa.

The Subclass 189 Visa is a permanent residence visa that never expires. Visa holders can permanently live in Australia.

Hamburg, Germany

Kallmorgenweg 1

Groß Flottbek

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Zürich, Switzerland

Spyristrasse 8

+49 (0) 40 896 987 13 

Cape Town, South Africa

Graphic Centre

199 Loop Street

+27 (0) 21 202 8200


Licenses: Our advisors are licensed to give immigration advice for Australia and New Zealand: Our MARA numbers are 1467325 and 1807854. Our IAA numbers are 201400975, 201600505, and 202300649. Our LIAA number is 220104. Katrin Maja O'Flynn and Maike Versfeld are also authorized under §1 AuswSG in Germany.

Copyright © 2024 Intergate Emigration GmbH. All rights reserved. Disclaimer.